Quick 15 Minute Felt Banner

Wednesday 13 May 2015

...I'm baaaaaack!

This week instead of posting something boring like an update, I thought I'd share a quick and easy DIY banner. These are perfect for brightening up your little one's room, for parties or just to have around the house!

I went for more typical unisex colours, which kind of reminds me a little of a superhero theme!



+ + + + + + + + + + 



SO, WHAT DO YOU NEED?!

Literally all you need to make a DIY banner is:

- Twine
- Felt (available from most craft stores)
- Glitter felt (optional - but you can get some from Josy Rose online)
- A little Pritt Stick and some Superglue (preferably Loctite)
- Some washi tape for hanging
- Scissors

1. Cut out your felt overlay:
This is the grey part, that is most of the banner you can see! It's easiest to do this first because then you can stick it to your mounted back. I didn't draw it out first, I just let go with the scissors and cut! I did this deliberately because I wanted it to have a real handmade, authentic feel and if I drew it out, I knew I would end up measuring and making sure it was even; that really wasn't the look I was after.

2. Cut out the base backing: 
For ours, I used some metallic kaleidoscope glitter fabric. To attach it to the back, I didn't want to use stitching but this is completely down to what you prefer, I first used pritt stick (a craft classic!). Then once I stuck it to the base, to make it extra secure, I used a little super glue on the edges.

NOTE: DO NOT GLUE DOWN THE TOP TWO CORNERS WHERE YOU WILL BE PLACING HOLES FOR YOUR HANGING. IF USING SUPER GLUE, BE EXTRA CAREFUL. YOU ONLY NEED A LITTLE (SO IT DOESN'T ABSORB THROUGH THE FELT); SUPERGLUE AND FELT CREATES AN EXOTHERMIC REACTION SO IT CAN GET HOT.

I'm sure this is a given, but if you're making banners with your tiny humans, make sure this part is done by a grown up! 

3. Cut out your letters and attach:
I cut mine freehand but if you're not comfortable with that, it's easier enough to draw out a template to cut around. When sticking I found I didn't need any super glue for this part, you can just use your own judgement as to whether you feel it needs to be extra secure.

4. Make the holes in the top two corners:
This is the hardest part! To do your holes, you can try using a punch, but the ones I had weren't strong enough so I had to do it by hand using scissors. As it's hard to get a clean cut, for this part I cheated, just to make sure it didn't look too messy - I cut out a couple of little grey triangles to cover the holes on the front and on the back, made some cute little grey hearts.

5. Cut a length of twine/ribbon and tie through the holes:
This bit is fairly self explanatory. Once you've done this, if you're going to add little patches, add them now! I just used superglue for mine, to make sure they don't come off as the twine moves when putting up or taking down.

6. Finally - fix down the corners!


Extra notes - if your banner is a little weighty, you can use a heavier twine or simply adjust the length until it sits how you like.


To put up, just add a little washi tape and voila!

Have fun getting crafty, and see ya next time!

No comments

Post a Comment